Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and heir to the British throne, has tested positive for the new coronavirus, reports UK Crown.
Charles has mild symptoms, but “he is otherwise in good health,” his spokesman said on Wednesday, adding that he was self-isolating at a royal estate in Scotland. His girlfriend, the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla, had a negative test and, accordingly, no virus was detected.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.”
Charles, who is 71, and Camilla, who is 72, are self-isolated in Balmoral, the Queen’s residence in Scotland. The Prince has been working from home in recent days.
“Given the high number of meetings in recent weeks, it is not possible to determine exactly where the prince got the virus,” the official said.
Charles last saw Queen Elizabeth, who is 93, on March 12.
Medical experts say they believe the earliest Charles would have been contagious was March 13, which is uncomfortably close to the day he and his mother were last together.
The Queen recently relocated from Buckingham Palace in central London to the slightly more remote Windsor Castle.
“Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of the 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare,” said a palace spokesman.
Charles has reportedly spoken to both of his sons, Prince William, 37, in Norfolk and Prince Harry, 35, in Canada to discuss his diagnosis.
Charles’ son Prince Harry was said last week to feel “helpless” and to have been worried about the prospect of his aging father and grandparents catching the disease.