US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he was considering “suspending” US funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), accusing the UN agency of bias in favor of China during the new coronavirus pandemic.
Trump told reporters that he “intends to impose a very strong suspension” at the WHO, whose largest source of funding is the United States.
“We are going to stop the money that is being spent on the World Health Organization,” said Trump, who has previously criticized other UN agencies.
He did not provide details of how much funding would be suspended, and later said at the same press conference, “I’m not saying I’m going to do that.” “We will consider ending funding,” Tramps added.
Trump said the WHO ” seems very biased towards China ‘and’ that’s not right.”
Trump had previously stated on Twitter that the WHO had been “highly focused on China” and implicitly stated that this had influenced WHO’s policy on the new coronavirus emerging in that country.
Trump recalled the WHO’s recommendation not to restrict international travel to stop the virus from spreading from China, and asked why the WHO had made such a “mistaken recommendation”.
“Fortunately, I rejected their advice early on to keep our borders open to China,” Trump wrote on Twitter, referring to his decision to ban entry from China.
The United States, especially Republicans, has criticized China for its actions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Trump has questioned China’s statistics on COVID-19 infections and deaths.
It has also been reported that the WHO has ignored Taiwanese data on human-to-human transmission of coronavirus.
Trump himself has also been criticized for initially downplaying COVID-19 by equating it with the flu and declaring that the spread of COVID-19 in the United States is under control.